If you’re getting a little bit bored of basic roasted squash, this is one way to pep it up a little without doing a lot of extra work! Paleo diet approved!
Beef-Stuffed Butternut Squash
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 large butternut squash, cut in half and seeded;
- 1 lb. ground beef;
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled;
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced;
- 2 carrots, diced;
- 3 onions, sliced;
- 1 stalk celery, diced;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- ½ tbsp. cinnamon;
- Cooking fat;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Season the squash with salt and pepper to taste and place in the oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Melt some cooking fat in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add one of the sliced onions, the garlic, the celery, and the carrots.
- Cook until celery is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beef, sprinkle with the cinnamon, season to taste, and cook until the meat is browned.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, continue cooking until vegetables are soft, and remove from heat.
- Once the squash is cooked, scrape out some of the flesh from the squash, and mix with the beef and vegetables.
- Stuff the squash with the beef mixture and bake in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Caramelize the remaining onions in a skillet over medium heat in some cooking fat (this takes about 10 minutes).
- Serve the squash topped with bacon and caramelized onions.