Simple Bratwurst, Cabbage and Sweet Potatoes
Prep Time: 7 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 3 large or 6 small servings
- 6 Bratwurst links
- Olive oil
- 1/2 large head green cabbage, finely shredded
- Seasonings: salt, freshly-ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- Sprigs of fresh parsley, for garnish
- Center the oven rack; preheat oven to 425°F. Put the sausages on a rack in a shallow roasting dish, brush their tops with a little olive oil, and bake them in the preheated oven until the casings are brown and crisp -- 35 minutes.
- While the sausages are cooking, set a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add a glug of olive oil, then add the shredded cabbage. Toss the cabbage with the salt, pepper, and fennel seeds, cover the skillet, and let cook quietly until the cabbage is tender-crisp -- about 5 minutes.
- Put the sweet potato rounds and 1/4 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Heat on "High" in the microwave oven until the rounds are tender but not mushy -- 5-6 minutes.
- To assemble, tip the cooked cabbage into an attractive baking/serving dish, and spread it out evenly. Top with the beautifully bronzed sausages. Arrange the sweet potato rounds in an overlapping fashion along the perimeter of the baking dish. Keep warm, uncovered, in a 200°F oven for up to 1 hour. Add decorative sprigs of fresh parsley just before serving